Military Mission (in Pretoria)
The Military Mission consists of a team of two senior officers and two senior non-commissioned officers from the Army, Navy and Air Force. It also takes on civilian or military interns on an ad-hoc basis. It has also a regional responsibility as the Defence Attaché Office in Pretoria covers the defence relations with Botswana, Malawi, Mozambique, Kingdom of Lesotho, Kingdom of Swaziland and South Africa.
In Botswana, it is in charge of:
- Informing the French authorities on all defence-related questions, obtained from the media or supplied by the Botswana defence Force (BDF) relating to the development of the BDF, deployment abroad, and equipment.
- Encouraging operational co-operation between the two armies through the organisation of bilateral training exercises, mainly for peacekeeping in Africa.
- Enhancing ties and encouraging the understanding of defence policies.
- Organising training co-operation through the teaching of French and participation in courses presented in French or African military schools.
- Developing relations in the domain of defence industries to encourage exchanges and coordination between two countries’ arms enterprises.
- In addition, due to the presence of the headquarters of SADC (Southern African Development Community) in Gaborone, the Defence Attaché maintains a close dialogue with the Organ on Politics, Defence and Security of the organization on all matters related to the regional security.
Phone: 012 – 425 1630 – Fax: 012 – 425 1639
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com